Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Is This Thing On?

I used to be an avid journal writer. It seems that my desire to write about my life was directly related to how miserable I was feeling at the time. Unsurprisingly, the journals from my teenage years are full of entries, and I even wrote a lot during my time as an undergrad. I haven't really written much in the almost two years I've been in grad school, which is weird.

I would have to say being a graduate student in philosophy has made me far more miserable than undergrad ever did. I feel like that one fish who's swimming with a school, and then next thing you know every one stops for burgers and conveniently forgets that you were in the bathroom, leaving you behind (don't fight my non-sensical analogy). I'm struggling to keep up, when I used to feel like I was on top of my studies. I never had anything lower than a B in my philosophy courses as an undergrad, and in most cases I always got As. Those Bs were usually in 8am classes, because sleep was just more important at that juncture in my life.

Now I'm almost done. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, after fighting through an existential crisis in which I almost dropped out and defected to Canada. Every one asks me what I'm going to do with an MA in philosophy, and I don't know what to tell them. I figure life is bound to get exciting, once I take my useless degree and embark upon the world.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment